Friday, August 13, 2010

Star Gazing - Illustration Friday



I did this painting a couple of years back as a wraparound 3rd Grade Reading textbook cover. The theme was adventure and this is what the art director and I came up with. What kid hasn't had the fantasy of of reaching for the stars from the relative safety of the backyard tree house? The shadow cast on the fence is a subtle reference to the moon landing. I like to add little "nuggets" in my pictures that maybe aren't obvious at first glance but that the viewer gets to discover. I think it makes them feel like a participant in the artwork and makes them enjoy it more.

7 comments:

MrBibleHead said...

Wow! Greg this is superb! I had to check out the rest of your blog after seeing this illo. Fantastic stuff! You have a new follower!

pati said...

Love it! They look so happy :)

pati

Unknown said...

Thanks guys! It's sure a lot of fun and welcome aboard!

Jane Grant Tentas said...

I love the lighting and the shadows!

Shirley said...

Super fun illustration! I want to just jump into that scene. Beautiful work!

Ray Ferguson said...

beautiful illustration! Well done!

Morph Waffle said...

Fantastical (if that's even a word).