Thursday, September 9, 2010

Grasshopper Thumbnail

Thumbnail sketch - 2 3/4" x 2" pencil with digital tone

Just got concept approval on a series of pictures I am doing for Scott Feaster at Boys' Life Magazine. The story is a fictionalized account of a young Lakota warrior who hones his skill with the bow and arrow to the point where he can hit grasshoppers in flight. He eventually grows up to become Chief Crazy Horse. This is the thumbnail sketch for the opening spread. I typically work this way as I prefer to work out the design and basic composition before I get to far into the process, especially before I shoot photos. Shooting photos first seems to result in less a dynamic feel to the pieces. This way I get the drama I want and I pose the models to match. Everyone seems excited about the direction this is going- including me. Now I need to do some more research to gather reference material, schedule a photo shoot, etc. I'll post more of this project as it goes along.

No comments: