Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sometimes You Don't Get The Job


thumbnail sketches for proposed Christmas book.
1.5" x 3" graphite and digital

Here are a couple of comp sketches I did recently for Scholastic Books. The only direction I got was two kids in bed asleep with Santa on the roof. One kid is reacting to the noise. Pretty cryptic, but I assumed it was  going to be a version of Clement Moore's "Twas the Night Before Christmas", so I went that direction. In the end, I was informed that they "went in another direction" but that they liked what I did a lot and would keep me in mind for future projects. That's how it goes sometimes.

2 comments:

DWHY said...

Man these are great!

Unknown said...

Thanks Dan, I wish they would have gotten me the book, but I don't know who they ultimately picked- maybe Loren Long? Who Knows.