Sunday, October 16, 2011

Crowbar's Farewell

Crowbar's Farewell- Acrylic/mixed media; 12" x 18"- Greg Newbold

I did a series of paintings for a story written by Jean Craighead George called When Crowbar Came. Based on a true story of a crow who was befriended by the authors' family and the shenanigans that this very smart crow perpetrated during his time with them.  I painted seven scenes for an educational reading anthology series and this piece was the finale. In the end, the crow decided he belonged with those of his kind. When all the crows scattered like leaves in the wind one fall, Crowbar went with them.

7 comments:

Reflections said...

Stunning piece. Love the depth of color, the textures captured... the wind beneath wings carrying them onward.

SUSAN DRAWBAUGH said...

Wonderful piece of art! I love the depth you gave to this, as well.

jeffdinardo said...

Always one of my favorite assignments with you. You did an amazing job!!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone, and Jeff, still a memorable project for me also. I'll have to post some of the other images sometime.

Kayleen West - Children Author/Illustrator said...

I like the way you handled the composition of so many birds Greg. Tricky placing so many of them and they look great.

Kathryn Mays said...

I love this illustration-it really caught my eye and when i opened it fully it was wonderful! Love the colors and the perspective!

Alison said...

Beautiful work. I love the landscape and clouds as well as the birds.