Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Provo Tabernacle-Finished Version

I finished up my Provo Tabernacle painting last week in preparation for the upcoming show my class has set up at the Window Box Gallery next weekend. As you can see from the preliminary study below, there were a lot of refinements that took place. I think the most glaring issue I had to deal with was the vertical lines. As I studied my progress, I realized that some of the walls canted to the east rather glaringly. I also was struggling with how to depict the rather rigid structure of the scaffolding. 

I decided to try a trick that I learned from painter friend Rob Adamson which involved using metal straightedges to get straight lines. I dug my eight inch and three inch drywall knives out of the shed and put them to work. By resting the straight edge on my painting and making a clean stroke, I found I could keep lines parallel, consistent and surprise, straight. It's also important to keep the edge clean after every stroke to prevent unintended transfer of paint to other areas of the work. This made a big difference and It is something I plan to continue using when I need a crisp line while painting.

The show including this painting and all the other wonderful work created by my students will be at the Window Box Gallery during December. Opening social will be  during the Friday Night Gallery Stroll, December 2, 2011 from 6;00 pm to 9:00 pm.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Really a big difference in the finish. Great job.