Friday, October 26, 2012

Painting Parley's Canyon


Mouth of Parley's Canyon- 13.75 x 9.25 Oil by Greg Newbold
Recently I went out painting with my friend David Meikle. We chose a spot on Parley's Trail just off Tanner Park near the mouth of Parley's Canyon on the east bench of Salt Lake City.


Every time I go out I search for an objective in the scene I choose to paint. My goal for this piece was to capture the drama of the deep shadows on the north facing slopes of Grandeur Peak where the canyon opens up. Here is a little progression of what I painted that morning and how it finished up after I did a little tickling in the studio.




The clouds were ever changing and I could not capture quite what I wanted (as you can see from the first picture compared to the third) so I repainted the sky in the studio. I also wanted to tone down the warmth in the far slopes a bit to create more distance. I am really happy with how it turned out. After it is dry, it will be for sale at my gallery Williams Fine Art.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Greg, What a beautiful painting! I am an interpretive writer, and I'm working with the Salt Lake City Division of Parks and Public Lands to develop a series of interpretive panels for Parley's Historic Nature Park. One of them will talk about the many different ways people use/value the park. I would LOVE to include your photo of the canyon with your easel and beautiful painting on site. Might you be agreeable to that? If yes, do you have a higher-resolution version of it? And how would you like the photo credit to read?
Thanks for considering this!
Best,
Sandra Murphy

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun project. I will be in touch regarding this!