Thursday, August 1, 2013

Bird of the Day- Chicks


Baby Chicks - 6" x 8" - Digital over Graphite, by Greg Newbold
The ending page for the Egg book shows the freshly hatched chicks. This one was the only one in the series that I had to revise at all. In the original sketch, I had some eggshells as well as a couple of unhatched eggs. The client asked that I have all the shells hatched so that there would be no confusion as to the number of eggs which needed to match the text. I was happy to oblige. Overall, this project went as smoothly as any I have ever done, including speedy payment. Thanks Dinardo Design! The shadows were created the same way as I did on the Hen piece I posted yesterday. The drawing is posted here.

5 comments:

Curious Art said...

This whole bird series is just wonderful! I can't believe how quickly you did them. Did you sleep at all???

Unknown said...

These actually went pretty quickly. I actually surprised myself. The drawings took 1-2 hours each, once I had the photo reference pulled together. Then with the full value drawing as a base, the digital painting took anywhere from 3-6 hours apiece. Most of them averaged about 6 hours total. Of course I had a system and rendered them all the same way. Having a process helps. This posts gives a rundown of how I did them: http://gregnewbold.blogspot.com/2013/07/photoshop-painting-process-meadowlark.html
And yes, I actually was able to get some sleep!

Sharon Wagner said...

Good job on the hay. Wow. Detail.

karumina said...

So cute!

Julia Kelly said...

Wonderful round chicks! So warmly golden!