Sunday, November 10, 2013

#449- A Soft Spot For Sheep

#449- Oil on board by Greg Newbold
If you have followed my blog, you will no doubt remember a few other paintings I have done involving sheep. Growing up, I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with these creatures. Our family homestead where my widowed great aunt lived always had sheep and as she had no children, we took care of them for her much of the time. For a time in my teen years, it was my daily chore to feed, water and otherwise monitor the animals. I didn't always love taking care of the sheep, especially in bitter cold weather, but I loved visiting with my Aunt Mame. These are not her sheep, but they represent the memories I cherish from that time in my life. See some of my previous sheep themed paintings below.

Aunt Mame's Sheep
Winter Coats
Unburdened
Penned In

2 comments:

Amy said...

I like your use of line and shape in this piece.

Unknown said...

Me too. I have been trying to notice and utilize contrasts of shape and texture to my advantage. This one was pretty obvious when I saw it, so the juxtapositions felt natural.