Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Happy Birthday Rodin!


The Thinker- 10" x 13" by Greg Newbold
Today marks the 173rd birthday of one of my all time favorite sculptors Auguste Rodin. Few sculptors have made such a lasting impact on art as Rodin. I have had several opportunities to witness firsthand, the brilliance of his work and whenever I do, I never cease to be moved and amazed at his passion and skill. Perhaps the most iconic sculpture ever created is Rodin's The Thinker.

Rodin's The Thinker
I used this piece as an inspiration and homage when I was asked to create a cover for The Village Voice's literary section many years ago. The articles were all book reviews relating to war, it's aftermath and the effects on the people of such regions. I thought The Thinker would be the perfect metaphor and so I constructed him emerging from the wreckage of battle with gun still smoking. The small flower growing amidst the rubble represents the hope for a better tomorrow. I think Rodin himself would be both pleased and amazed at the staying power his work has had. Thanks for the inspiration and Happy Birthday Rodin!

Check out this nice tribute to Rodin at Artwife Needs A Life

2 comments:

Amy said...

I have always loved this "Thinker" piece you did for Village Voice. Nice job of adapting an iconic piece to fit a theme.

Lark said...

I LOVE your version of The Thinker! So cool!