Monday, November 11, 2013

The Sentinels

The Sentinels- 16" x 20" Oil on board by Greg Newbold
I have a thing for hay bales. I probably stems back to summers when we would have to buck enough bales to fill up the hay barn for the winter. In the moment, you hate it. It's hot itchy work and the bales are heavy. If the hay was dense, the bales could easily weigh seventy five pounds or more. Getting the last couple of layers loaded onto the truck was always a brutal effort. Of course with today's modern machinery, the bales are massive and require heavy equipment to remove from the field. These two bales lie in wait like desert buttes for their trip to whatever winter storage destination is their fate. I love the solid almost graphic shapes that these great bales offer as subjects. I also liked working a lot more with the palette knife on this painting.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I like the juxtaposition of the horizontal line of the bales against the perspective lines of the field in the background. Nice job!

Unknown said...

Thanks Amy. It almost becomes an abstract geometric pattern. I found that aspect of the design very appealing also.